Tips On Running Your Home Office
As more than ten million people have learned, having a home office can make it easier to achieve a balance between work and family and setting up a home office is easier than ever. Today's technology options can help home offices rival those of Fortune 500 corporations. Before buying any equipment, however, first establish your priorities:
- Assess Your Needs: Will you produce graphs and charts or texts and reports? Do clients need to reach you immediately, or can they wait for you to call back later?
- Focus on Output: Invest in items that improve output -- such as a PC, printer, telephone system and marketing materials.
- Get a Good Printer: Printers should be a primary focus. For color, consider an inkjet printer. Prices have dropped dramatically, while features have increased.
Lexmark International color inkjet printers currently offer many useful features at affordable prices. The new Color Jetprinter 2050, has received rave media reviews and includes a CD-ROM software package called the Lexmark Workshop. Users can print labels, T-shirts, certificates and cards, download images from the Internet, manipulate these images and insert them into reports or presentations.
If color is not essential, a laser printer can be faster. If you need to create a large number of forms, look for a feature called flash memory. With this feature forms can be preprogrammed into the printer and printed out as needed. Also, look for 1200 dots per inch resolution on laser printers to ensure the finest quality.
- Take Advantage of New Technology: PC software can do spreadsheets, accounting, word processing, and even help keep track of client contact. Look for a PC with 28.8 modem speed or faster to expedite access to the Internet. Look for leading manufacturers like Sharkware, Peachtree and Inc.
- Choose Your Manufacturer Carefully: Look for manufacturers that understand the business market, such as Lexmark International.
- Phone System: Staying organized requires a system that allows you to pick and choose the calls you want to take, but at the same time keeps you accessible. Consider getting a single personal identification number (PIN) that combines your fax, business phone, home phone and pager for less confusion.
Lexmark International offers a free newsletter on how to choose a printer. To obtain one, call (800) 358-5835.(NAPSI)
B4-U-BUY | FYI Main Page | Texas Lottery Results | B4UEAT Houston Restaurant Guide | Business Services | Wellness Resources | Comments