Learn More About Your Hardworking Skin
How much do you know about your skin? For a start, it's the largest organ in the human body, covering up to 20 square feet. These facts might make you appreciate your skin and teach you how:
- Skin works hard at protecting the body, preventing bacteria and chemicals from entering it and keeping vital fluids in.
- The skin's outer layer is epidermis, which is about as thick as a sheet of paper on most parts of the body.
- Dry skin is due to a lack of water in the skin's outer layer. Normally, oils or lipids in the skin help trap water in the skin and prevent it from evaporating.
- Causes of dry skin include low relative humidity levels from indoor heat, cold winter air or even air conditioning, excessive sun or wind exposure, excessive contact with soaps and detergents, heredity, aging, medically related conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, diabetes and contact dermatitis.
- To avoid dry skin, shower and bathe in warm not hot water. Use a mild cleanser, such as Aveeno Gentle Skin Cleanser, which was developed for dermatologists. Enhanced with silky smooth oatmeal, nature's own gentle cleanser, the rich emollients of this soap-free cleanser help soothe dry skin and won't clog pores.
- If you have dry skin, immediately after showering or bathing, dermatologists recommend that you pat skin dry and apply a moisturizer such as Aveeno Moistur-izing Lotion or Cream. Unlike ordinary lotions and creams, Aveeno uses natural colloidal oatmeal blended with rich emollients to naturally moisturize your skin for 24 hours. This naturally nourishing, non-greasy formula absorbs quickly and does not clog pores. The moisturizer contains no fragrance, paraben, lanolin or drying alcohols which can cause allergic reactions.
- Other ways to help heal dry skin include drinking several glasses of water a day, using gloves or protective clothing while doing housework or household improvements and applying a moisturizing sun screen before you spend any extensive time outdoors.
B4-U-BUY | FYI Main Page | Texas Lottery Results | B4UEAT Houston Restaurant Guide | Business Services | Wellness Resources | Comments